Squeak as Linux and other threads

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Thu May 22 11:35:00 UTC 2003

Hi all!

I just remembered - I was intending for SM1.1 to use the UUID in the
cache structure like this:

sm
  packagecache
    {Package UUID}
      {Package release autonumber}
         blabla.cs.gz

The autonumber is only numerals and dots - should hopefully work in all
filesystems. And why is that a directory? Well, the actual filename to
download is currently NOT bounded by any kinds of rules. So it could
collide etc. Of course you would like to change this too I guess -
bah... So many things...

Anyway, back to the other issue - the use of the UUID as the directory
name for the package. If we drop the UUID then we will need to use the
name here and together with the sig namespace thingy:

sm
  packagecache
    gh
      SharedStreams
        3.1
          Blabla.cs.gz

Ok, so what happens? The sig mustn't change. This is funny btw, because
I just changed my name to Göran Krampe which means my sig just
changed...

The package name will need to work in all filesystems supported by
Squeak. What does that give us "filename wise"? Can we use lower/upper
case? Can we use spaces?

And while we are at it - can we use "." as I intended to do with the
autoVersion?

regards, Göran