Image is displayed on startup

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed May 28 02:02:52 UTC 2003

John M McIntosh <johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com> wrote:
	PS OS 9.x is a much nicer and very stable OS as compared to OS 8.6, so
	much so that on the
	occasional crash I would noticed I would have *lots* more running
	applications than I ever did in
	os 8.x. I'd suggest upgrading to that if hardware issues etc prevent
	migration to os-x.

I saw the user interface in MacOS 9 and recoiled in horror and disgust.
I've had plenty of opportunity to use MacOS 9; in fact I'll be using it
during a lecture tomorrow.  However, I have never enjoyed the experience.

For what it's worth, I have far *worse* problems with Squeak on MacOS 9.
The machine in question is a G3 laptop of some kind.  I copied the
entire Squeak 3.5 folder across, including the distribution image
and my modified image.

In MacOS 9, clicking on my modified image gave me a completely blank
window (which it should not have).  Clicking on the distribution image
gave me a couple of brush-strokes of Squeaky and an emergency evaluator
(some problem in BitBlt, I think.)  However, clicking on the VM and then
selecting my modified image gave me exactly what I wanted to see.

As long as I have experiences like that with MacOS 9, there is no
way I am going to "upgrade".