Harvesting Process is not working

cg at tric.nl cg at tric.nl
Mon Nov 3 07:44:37 UTC 2003

Marcus Denker  <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>Actually, I think we are in just this state allready for more than
>2 years.  Have you ever tried to explain somebody what's new in 3.6?
>There is *nothing*. There was nothing new in 3.5. And not much in 3.4,
>either. Squeak is dead.

Marcus, this is a jewel of circular reasoning:

"Let's make Squeak modular and distribute less in the base image"
"Yeah, cool!"
"Hey, here is SqueakMap where you can register anything that doesn't
 land in the base image"
"Great" (200-or-so packages get registered)
"Here is Squeak 3.6 - less of the same, just as we promised"

"Squeak is dead"

(well, that puts Squeak on par with God and Nietsche, at least ;-))

The fact that the harvesting process puts a lot of load on people and
that there's a backlog, shows to me:
- that Squeak is very much alive;
- that development is still too centralized, in other words that what
  is being pushed through the harvesting process still is covering
  code that should be on SM.
In the meantime, by all means make sure that the current backlogs go
away (I hardly have time to participate in big discussions here, so
count me out for helping ;-)), but don't exaggerate what is really
going on.

--
Cees de Groot               http://www.tric.nl     <cg at tric.nl>
tric, the new way           helpdesk/ticketing software, VoIP/CTI,