[FIX][KCP] KCP-0102-extractVMFromSystDict ( [er] )

Daniel Vainsencher danielv at netvision.net.il
Thu Oct 2 13:45:53 UTC 2003

First, about the refactoring itself, and the responsibilities moved to
SystemVersion and SmalltalkImage, I think the change is good. I want to
raise some naming issues, though -

IIUC, the new global Squeak is defined to reference SmalltalkImage's
sole instance. First, I'm not sure that's a good use for the name. The
functions therein are esoteric for most people, and Squeak is a very non
specific name for it.

Second, the code, change set comment and deprecation comments vary on
whether to reference this instance as
- SmalltalkImage uniqueInstance
- SmalltalkImage current
- Squeak

Whatever we pick, it better be consistent. I personally would prefer the
"current" variant. About using Squeak - I think Globals should be
reserved to commonly accessed concepts. SmalltalkImage doesn't seem to
be one, so I'd be lazy about giving it the name. These things are easier
to give than to take away...

Daniel

< I'm a bug-fixing machine! >

This post brought to you by the BugFixArchiveViewer, a handy tool that
makes it easy to comment on proposed fixes and enhancements for Squeak.
For more information, check out the Web page for the BugFixArchiveViewer
project: http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3214

< I'm a bug-fixing machine! >