duplicateControlAndAltKeys by default?

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Fri Oct 10 15:12:57 UTC 2003

Martin Wirblat <sql.mawi at t-link.de> wrote:
> Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2003 12:08:14 +0100
> From: Martin Wirblat <sql.mawi at t-link.de>
> Subject: Re:duplicateControlAndAltKeys  by default?
> To: Squeak <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
> reply-to: The general-purpose Squeak developers list <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org>
>
> "Lex Spoon" <lex at cc.gatech.edu> wrote on 09.10.2003 21:05:27:
> >
> >Is there a reason this preference disabled in the default 3.6 image?
> >Surely we want it turned on, because this is a small thing that can
> >really irritate new users.
> >

> >-Lex
>
> Really confusing is that the help-text does not match either setting.
> To duplicate the keys is even more confusing: One might think there is
> no difference at all between the ctrl and alt-key.

Who really knows until we try it, but I don't expect this would be
*that* confusing.  People will develop the expectation that it doesn't
matter which key you use, but the first time there's a difference they
will figure out in a hurry.

The help text could explicitly say things like "alt-v or ctrl-v" in
places where it doesn't matter, to make this especially clear.

And yes, the help text should change when you change the preference,
hadn't thought of that.

> IMO the best solution would be to swap all keys, and to update the
> help-text so, that it explains that modifier-keys can be swapped to
> match the OS.

That just changes which group of people have an awkward key setup.  On a
Mac, everyone is used to the current bindings.  These guys shouldn't
have to read the docs just to get the key bindings set up.

-Lex