www.squeak.org???

Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de
Wed Sep 10 18:11:27 UTC 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 09:26:04AM -0700, Darius wrote:
> I really think that the site should roughly simulate the appearance of the
> Squeak desktop environment (734 pixels wide) with Diego visual enhancements and
> the Squeak pastel color scheme.

Please not! The look we have in Squeak right now is in no way what
it will be in the future. It is *really* *really* ugly. Just
show it to someone who isn't a long time Squeak user. I have
*never* seen anyone who's first reaction was positive. We should
think hard about what this tries to tell us.

Maybe I need to explain this a little bit: I am *not* against
beeing different than anyone else. This is great. But there
need to be a reason for beeing different... another thing we
should really think about is the emotional point of view: All
Interfaces trigger certain emotions in the users. We really
do want to apeal on an emotional basis: "This is interesting,
I want to learn that". We don't do this right now...

And bringing that "design" to the website will make things worse:
It moves the point were people are turned away forward, right
to the squeak.org front page...

  Marcus

--
Marcus Denker marcus at ira.uka.de  -- Squeak! http://squeak.de