ElastoLab physics code released

Karl Ramberg karl.ramberg at chello.se
Mon Sep 29 12:53:56 UTC 2003

David Buck wrote:

> I'm releasing the ElastoLab physics as open source and I've ported it to
> Squeak.  If you'd like to try it, visit:
>
>     http://www.simberon.com/Services/SmalltalkSoftware/
>
> The classes in SimulatedPhysics.st offer basic physics simulation of
> particles, gravity, air resistance, springs and elastics.  This code is
> fairly clean and works quite well.  The code in
> SimulatedPhysicsAdvanced.st covers barriers and rods which are much more
> computationally difficult and contain some messy code and algorithms.
> The code in SimulatedPhysicsTestcases.st provides testcases for some
> things in the SimulatedPhysics.st package but doesn't yet test the
> advanced code.  At this time, there is no additional documentation.  I'd
> suggest just looking at the testcases and trying things from there.

Thanks for porting this stuff :-)
I done some really simple stuff with just positioning a morph after the
various
vector points like:
morphs position: particle loaction asPoint.

It looks pretty simple to use hook the particle system up to
the morphic stepping mechanism.
Another thing I will try is to hook it up to the etoy
tile scripting, with some getters and setters for each setting.

 But I like to test the juicy stuff like collision detetction etc.
Could you write up some test cases similar code for them, too., just to
show how
stuff is initiated/ used?

Karl