[ANN] ObjectiveC Bridge

Ian Piumarta ian.piumarta at inria.fr
Wed Apr 7 09:42:19 UTC 2004

Avi, (Alain,)

On 07 Apr 2004, at 05:08, Avi Bryant wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2004, at 6:16 AM, Alain Fischer wrote:
>
>> then copy "ObjectiveCPlugin.so" in "Squeak-3.6g-2.app/Contents/MacOS"
>> and load "ObjcBridge.5.cs" in a 3.6 image.
>
> So, I did all that, but all the prims fail.

Depending on the combination of VM sources, internal vs. external
plugin configuration, other plugins that are active and the version of
Darwin that you are running, you might be falling foul of a "feature"
of the Mach-O dyld stuff that fails symbol lookup when more than one
external dynamically-loaded "image" contains the same symbol within a
flat namespace.

I put some pyrotechnics into the 3.7b sources to fix this, and a couple
of days ago (at the request of Bert F) backported it to the 3.6-3
release (updating only the source archive and Darwin/OSX .tgz and .dmg
binary archives in the process).  Before wasting any time on searching
for bugs in the bridge code, I'd suggest downloading the latest VM
sources and recompiling everything.  It might just be that your plugin
problems vanish; if not, at least you'll know that symbol lookup in
plugins is working reliably on Darwin before embarking on any further
debugging.

Cheers,
Ian