Grid / Table Morph?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Wed Aug 4 19:13:03 UTC 2004

On Aug 4, 2004, at 11:41 AM, Brian Brown wrote:

> Yet another tool that may be helpful for creating Grids and Tables is
> the SqueakSource project, GuidedLayout. You can look at the project,
> or get the Monticello file from here:
> http://kilana.unibe.ch:8888/GuidedLayout/
>
> If some folks could kindly play with it and give some feedback, both
> from a design and implementation perspective, I'll make it available
> via SqueakMap.

Hi Brian,

I've made this observation before, but I'll make it again for
posterity: I think GuidedLayout would do well to use more objects and
messages and fewer symbol parameters.  For example, #demo2 now has:

	guide
		line: #leftOffset
		offset: 100
		from: #left.
	owner
		addMorph: (Morph new color: Color red)
		fullFrame: (guide frame right: #leftOffset).

I think this would be better as:

	leftOffset := guide left offset: 100.
	owner addMorph: (Morph new color: Color red)
	fullFrame: (GuidedLayoutFrame right: leftOffset)

Or possibly as:

	leftOffset := guide left offset: 100.
	owner addMorph: (Morph new color: Color red)
	fullFrame: leftOffset asRightEdgeOfFrame

Cheers,
Avi