squeak to meet databases

Ram Krishnan rkris at kriyative.net
Thu Aug 5 22:54:34 UTC 2004

One reason to implement a Squeak native database connection, i.e. a
socket level interface as opposed to a FFI call to a C library, would be
to enable multiple threads in the image to execute transactions
concurrently. My understanding of the Squeak VM and FFI is that once a
Squeak thread descends into a FFI call all other threads in the image
will be blocked. This can be undesirable in an environment where the
image is servicing multiple client requests, say over the web, that
generate independent transactions on the database.

-ram