Help, Squeak is not responding

Ned Konz ned at squeakland.org
Wed Dec 8 23:03:37 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 08 December 2004 11:30 am, Jason Rogers wrote:
> On Saturday 04 December 2004 12:31, David T. Lewis wrote:
> [snip a lot of good suggestions]
>
> On the recovery thread still, I have tried writing a script that should get
> run when Squeak starts, but it doesn't seem to help.  So, I would like to
> try simulating an <Alt-.> command.  Does anyone know the Smalltalk code for
> this?

If the Preference called #readDocumentAtStartup is set (which it is by
default), then Squeak should read a file given as an argument like this:

 squeak myBroken.image file:///someDirectory/someFile.st

note that the argument MUST look like an absolute URL!

I just tried this script:

 Smalltalk logError: 'Testing 123' inContext: thisContext to:'Test.log'.

and got a stack trace.

So if you run the above script and don't get a Test.log produced, then you
aren't even getting to the startup (or the Preference for reading documents
isn't set).

As far as simulating the Alt-. you can make a script that just does this:

 self halt.

and this will pop up a debugger after interrupting the current process (which
will be the Morphic process that's starting up the system).

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com/squeak/