Squeak map problems under Gentoo linux

C. David Shaffer cdshaffer at acm.org
Sat Dec 11 17:38:23 UTC 2004

Tim Rowledge wrote:

>The debug log shows clear evidence of the infamous 'object memory has
>escaped the 2Gb playroom' problem.
>
>We really ought to find a solution to this sometime - basically some part of OM
>extends beyond an address of 2Gb and there is a piece of code involved in the
>segment loading that treats the addresses as signed int (actually lots of code
>does but this part fails because of it)  and thus the prim fails and
>you get kaboom. I _think_ Ian's 64 bit vm extensions might provide a
>workaround but I'm also pretty sure I saw news of a performance issue
>on 32bit machines. I'm anticipating moving 64bitness into the 3.9
>VMMaker stream sometime, so we'll see.
>

>tim
>--
>Tim Rowledge, tim at sumeru.stanford.edu, http://sumeru.stanford.edu/tim
>Strange OpCodes: L: Lie!

But it happens on a fresh 3.7 image.  In fact, the log I posted was from
an out-of-the-box image having done nothing but navigated the menus to
the SqueakMap package loader.  This seems to be a hint that it is a VM
problem...maybe something's going wrong during my VM builds.  I'll
install Ian's stock VM and see if that makes a difference.  Thanks.

David