A number of questions

Tim Rowledge tim at sumeru.stanford.edu
Tue Dec 14 05:49:23 UTC 2004

Michael Latta <lattam at mac.com> wrote:

> I am currently using a 3.7 full image, which is the current download
> for Mac OS/X that I could find.
Don't forget that you can use any image with any VM (within certain
limits - I don't think a 1.6 circa 1996 image works too well on current
VMs but I could be wrong)

> I have a number of questions that I am hoping can be answered by those
> longer on this list than myself:
>
> 3) Has there been discussion about using native windows?  Having
> everything in one window makes use of Squeak for applications more
> difficult.
Many. Recently John McIntosh & I released the Areithfa Ffenestri
project to provide multiple windows (currently mac and RISC OS) and mac
menu bars (for macs, anyway). Look on the swiki for a couple of
documentation pages. We've just reworked the package to make it easier
to use and will be releasing it soon. There are good reasons to expect
support for it in windows and unix fairly soon.

> 6) Where are the best reference materials for the VM ?  For VMMaker?
There are some pages on the swiki with various VM details, and some of
the nublue book covers it (Squeak: Open personal computing and
multimedia, available at any good book store. If it isn't there, it
isn't a good bookstore). VMMaker is documented on the swiki and has a
fair bit of doc built into its help window (open VMMaker, press the
help button) and class comments. There is some doc about the vm in the
ObjectMeory and Interpreter classes as well but nowhere near as much as
would be nice.
Oh and don't forget the BlueBook - Smalltalk-80: The language and its
implementation, not available quite as readily as the nublue book but
still occasionally found on ebay, mailing lists, newsgroups and
Powells.
And of course, this list; there are a significant fraction of all the VM
implementors here. Ask, and we shall seek to provide enlightenment.
Usually for free...

> 7) Is an OS/X install being built for the various alpha builds, or do I
> need to learn to build my own?
All you have to do is download the image/changelog pairs from
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu//pub/Smalltalk/Squeak  same as for any platform.
Squeak really does a pretty good job of clean portability, with only
occasional places/occasions where we screwup.

tim
Honey, I Formatted the Kid!