What is the best HTTP client

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Dec 14 23:03:04 UTC 2004

John Pierce wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I was wondering what the community felt was the best HTTP client we
> have to date in Squeak (3.8)?  I know the term "best" is quite
> subjective, but what I need to do is automate some web server testing
> so I need an HTTP client that can GET and POST, has a simple
> interface, and maybe exposes the result sets from the server in some
> structured way.  I want to "test" some XHTML streams coming out of my
> seaside web server..
>
> Currently I am getting experienced with the class HTTPSocket in
> Network-Protocols.  There is also an HTTPClient package on SM.  Which
> should I use or should I explore any other options?

Hi John,

I can't give you much insight into the two clients; I've found that
HTTPSocket is fine if you just want to do simple fetches from HTTP urls.
HTTPClient may provide more capability or control, but I don't know that.

Something else you might find interesting, however, is HttpSmallUnit.
It's a Camp Smalltalk project that does SUnit-style testing of web-based
apps over HTTP. It's currently implemented for VW, and there were plans
for a Squeak port, but I don't know if anything has come of that. You
may find it's less work to port that than roll your own.

(And, since I haven't provided a useful answer to your question, I'm
waiting expectantly for your second post here, saying "Ok, I'm porting
SmallHttpUnit to Squeak.... what's the best http client to use?" ;-)

Colin