[RFC] OOVM & Resilient

Jecel Assumpcao Jr jecel at merlintec.com
Thu Feb 12 20:24:51 UTC 2004

On Wednesday 11 February 2004 22:34, smallsqueak.net wrote:
> > [Little Smalltalk]
>
>     I tried a version on your site some time ago but the image
>     could not be loaded on Win32 platform.
>
>     Do you happen to have a pair of image+vm for Win32 that is
>     working on one of your obsolete your machines ;-)

No, I tried compiling it with CygWin back in 2000 (a version without the
web gui) and never got it to work. It shouldn't be very hard to make it
run in Windows since it only uses very general C library functions.

>     Is it available somewhere (I mean Neo Smalltalk ;-)

The current 16 bit version belongs to my client and won't be released
(all selectors are in Portuguese so it wouldn't be very interesting for
most people here anyway), but the next version (36 bits) will be Free
Software with the MIT license. Since it is being developed together
with the hardware, in practice that won't help very much unless I
implement an emulator for my hardware on the PC and Mac. I am
considering doing just that in Slang.

The closest thing to a Neo Smalltalk page is
http://www.merlintec.com:8080/Software which is so bad that I decided
not to include this link in my previous message.

Since this thread is about really tiny Smalltalks, I am afraid that the
36 bit version won't be as interesting as the 16 bit one.

>     How hard would it be to add reflection to Resilient ?

Stef already mentioned BlockMirrors and the possibility of adding more
mirrors (which is how reflection is done in Self). I think it is not a
matter of it being "hard" but rather of the developer's focus. Just
like adding native widgets to Squeak isn't hard but is also not being
done.

-- Jecel