Using Monticello and SqueakSource and distributing packages

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Wed Feb 18 08:47:20 UTC 2004

Hi Tim!

Ned already replied but I reply once more just to make sure.

Timothy Rowledge <tim at sumeru.stanford.edu> wrote:
> Slightly different question for MC - given that my main machine is not
> currently on the net, which packages in which versions should I load
> into a 5707 image to put together a system which I can use to start
> trying to use MC to track the development of VMMaker?
>
> MC version?
> SARBuilder?
> PackageLoader? (Or can I download the others and merely install them?
> When I 'download' in with SM2 where do the dang files go? I can't see
> them anywhere)

Bring up a 5707, do "open->Package Loader" (which will ask a question
about upgrading to SM2, answer yes), wait for a few packages to install
- eventually a package loader should show up.

To see what you got - bring up menu on right-click, make sure only
"installed packages" is checked. The version number within parentheses
is the installed version.

MCInstaller is just a Monticello "bootstrap loader", which means it can
"filein" a .mcz file but it does so without any smarts whatsoever. So
for intelligent installs/upgrades etc you need Monticello - the real
thing. So find Monticello (unchecking that checkbox first) and install
it.

Afterwards you can also select "upgrade all installed packages" which
will upgrade PackageInfo and SARInstaller. I just rehearsed these
instructions and they worked for me.

You don't necessarily need SARBuilder unless you need to build SAR
files. And you don't need that if your package is "just code". If the
package contains resources like other kinds of files then SAR is of
course interesting. So far all my packages are just "code only" so I
haven't built a single SAR yet actually.

And yes, the package loader maintains a file cache, it is situated below
the "sm" dir. Sidenote: Inside the "sm" dir you can delete all the
"map.xxx.sgz" files except for the one with the highest number. If you
have any .log files you can delete them all - that was for old SM1.

> Which files/directories do I need to copy across along with the
> resulting image/changes?

As Ned said, the "sm" dir is nice to copy across - it contains the
cached map and the cached packages you have downloaded. But since it is
only a cache you don't *need* it.

Same goes for the "package-cache" dir that Monticello maintains I guess.

> tim

regards, Göran