Squat crash on winXP

SmallSqueak smallsqueak at rogers.com
Fri Feb 20 04:17:45 UTC 2004

Hi Craig,

> 	Currently, "smallest" and "working" will both crash
> unless there is a server for them to speak to (e.g., an
> instance of Sorcerer in the "control" snapshot). "smallest"
> speaks a different (older) object serialization protocol than
> "control" does, so the only way to do anything with it is in
> the virtual machine simulator. I mention this on the Squat
> release site.

	Can the control.image talk to working.image asking it
	to shrink to something like smallest.image ?

	What's involved ? That would make a nice tutorial
	for using Squat.

> > BTW, I hope you can find some time to put a Squat package
> on SM. This
> > would be very helpful for those who want to review Squat.
>
> 	People might think it's something they can install and
> run with a mainstream release; it's not. The most helpful
> thing for me would be for people to review what I've provided
> on the Squat website. Is there a precedent for SqueakMap
> packages which make inherently fundamental changes to the
> virtual machine (as opposed to just a plugin)?

	You already gave the cs (and interp.c) for changes
	in the VM. I think that's good enough.

	What I meant are the cs (or dare I say mcz ;-) for
	the Squat related classes.

	I thought it might help TFNR to have Squeak beheaded ;-).
	Anyway, it's your call.

> > PPS: Latest news, latest control.image on Feb 19 is broken.
> No crash
> > but output console was open with many messages for a little
> while then
> > Squeak self terminated.
>
> 	I cannot duplicate this (on win98, I don't have winXP).
> I suggest rebooting, deleting all Squat bits, and starting over. :)

	I can confirm that it's the image that's causing the problem
	because the old image run OK with the new flow plugin.

	Maybe it's a combination of new control.image and new flow.

	Hope this helps.

	Cheers,

	PhiHo.