[ANN] Inside Smalltalk Volume one online

ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Mon Jan 5 10:49:49 UTC 2004

Hi all,

To start well this new Smalltalking year, please find InsideSmalltalk
in pdf at:
http://www.iam.unibe.ch/~ducasse/WebPages/FreeBooks.html

I'm sorry because I could not find the time to OCR it so this is a bit
large.
Please send this announce around so that we spread the news.

Stef

PS: I would like to take the opportunity to insist on the fact that
we are organizing a Smalltalk conference with an academic track and
that it is important that people send article there. Lot of
smalltalkers are producing
interesting ideas. Here is the call for paper.

                  ESUG Academic Track
                        6-10 september 2004
                        Köthen, Germany
                        http://www.esug.org

The European Smalltalk User Group is proud to announce that it will
organize an academic track
for the 12th year of existence of the ESUG Conference with an excellent
program committee.

Scope:
======
The goal of the academic track is to have a forum for publications
related to Smalltalk and dynamically-typed languages. We encourage
authors to submit excellent quality papers as we plan to produce
proceedings.
The organizing committee strongly discourages the submission of product
presentations and other marketing related material. The academic track
is about research!

A non exhaustive list of topics is      - new languages features
(mixins, AOP,...)
    - meta and reflective programming
    - code analysis (refactoring,...)
    - process development (Agile processes, Unit testing, ...)
    - virtual machines (optimization, new trends, ...)
    - frameworks (web, graphical...)
    - software evolution (metrics,...)

The best papers will be published in a special issue of the Elsevier
international journal "Computer Languages"
http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/complang

Program Chair:
==============
    Dr. Noury  Bouraqadi (Ecole des Mines de Douai, France)
    email: bouraqadi at ensm-douai.fr
    Prof. Stephane Ducasse (University of Berne)
    email: ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
    Prof. Roel Wuyts (University of Berne)
    email: Roel.Wuyts at ulb.ac.be

Program Committee:
==================
    - Prof. Andrew Black (Oregon Health and Science University, USA)
    - Dr. Gilad Bracha (SUN, USA)
    - Dr. Noury  Bouraqadi (Ecole des Mines de Douai, France)
    - Prof. Serge Demeyer (University of Antwerpen, Belgium)
    - Prof. Theo D'Hondt (Universiteit Vrije Brussels, Belgium)
    - Prof. Christophe Dony (University of Montpellier, France)
    - Prof. Stephane Ducasse (University of Berne, Switzerland)
    - Dr. Robert Hirschfeld (Gomoco, Germany)
    - Prof. Ralph Johnson (University of Urbana Champain, USA)
    - Prof. M. Marchesi (University of
    - Prof. Kim Mens (University of Louvain la Neuve, Belgium)
    - Dr. Serge Stinckwich (University of Caen, France)
    - Prof. Dave Thomas (Bedarra, USA-Canada)
    - Prof. Roel Wuyts (University of Brussels, Belgium)

Important Dates:
============
    - Deadline: 21 of May 2004
    - Notification of acceptance: 1st of July 2004
    - Final version: 21st of July 2004

Format information:
    http://www.esug.org/summerschools/2003_Bled/elsevier.sit
    http://www.esug.org/summerschools/2003_Bled/elsevier.zip