ask for APSL? for real this time?

John Pfersich jp1660 at att.net
Thu Jan 8 05:06:52 UTC 2004

>John Pfersich  <squeak-dev at lists.squeakfoundation.org> said:
>>I don't
>>consider the current license to be adequate in any shape or form.  And with
>>that
>>kind of attitude, I'll not continue its development in Squeak.
>>
>Could you please point out the inadequacies? Or is it just "it is not
>stamped Open Source by some folks I never met and might be just a bunch
>of talking aardvarks"?

Firstly, I'd like to apologize for the tone of my email, The email I was
replying just
rubbed me the wrong way.

I don't think aardvarks is the correct term, jackasses or assh---s. To say
that I'm extremely
unpleased with sourceforge is an understatement. It took them about ten
minutes to reject the project, and, I think, 4 weeks to reject the appeal.
And they couldn't even tell me why  they rejected it.

I think the problem is with the font license

I'm just looking for a publically accessible cvs server to store this
project on, the successor to Pocket SmallTalk.

>As a license for a software package where the idea is to share common
>code between licensees, enable commercial use, and not exclude anyone
>from the group of licensees, I think it is OK. It has some warts, and
>these warts are the cause that SqueakL cannot qualify for e.g. OSI
>approval, but it's not too bad (certainly not in the light of the fact
>that this license was written well before the whole open source thing
>really took off). It's certainly better than the legal jungle that will
>be caused by relicensing.

The MIT and BSD licenses has been around alot longer than the Squeak
License.  For the most part, Squeak License is similar to these, except for
the font part.

>If that's not good enough for you, I feel sorry. But short of a full
>re-engineering effort (which I personally think has a much higher chance
>of succeeding than a clean re-licensing effort), there's not much one
>can do about it.

I'd be willing to particpate in a re-engineering effort.