SourceForge

Duane Maxwell dmaxwell at san.rr.com
Thu Jan 8 07:44:25 UTC 2004

On Jan 7, 2004, at 10:15 PM, John Pfersich wrote:

> And pocket smalltalk has also been given the evil eye  by SF.

I wonder what SF's problem is with PST - it says right on their own
page that the license is OSI approved.

Perhaps "All Smalltalks" == "Squeak" to somebody.

It sounds to me like somebody's been given a mandate to get rid of as
many projects as possible in order to reduce the burden on  the
SourceForge servers.  If so, I wouldn't be surprised.  I cringe
whenever I find out a project is hosted there - "Planning" projects are
the most numerous, with "Pre-Alpha" and "Alpha" in third and fourth
places.  I don't mean to say that SourceForge isn't useful, but the
signal-to-noise ratio is pretty low.

I always wondered how VA Software was justifying the expense - this is,
after all, a company trading at 2% of its IPO price, with 12% of its
float shorted and I find it hard to believe that SF is anything but a
cash drain.  This purge might be the first sign of the inevitable
collapse of SourceForge.

Squeak does not need SourceForge to survive.  It's been around longer
than most of the projects there, and has roots dating back to the dawn
of interactive computing.  It will likely be here long after
SourceForge becomes an answer to a question in Trivial Pursuit - Geek
Edition.

-- Duane