Squeak Daemon: Why doesn't Squeak sleep with zero cpu usage?

Peter William Lount peter at ActiveInfo.CA
Tue Jan 20 21:06:57 UTC 2004

> The simplest and most effective way I've found is to execute "Project
> uiProcess suspend".  Note that this will immediately lock up your UI.
> If you want to save an image in that state, you'll need something like:
>
> [Project uiProcess suspend.  Smalltalk snapshot: true andQuit: true]
> fork
>
> When you reopen that image, it should use much less CPU (but you can
> only interact with it over the network, of course).
>
> You could presumably have a network accessible way of starting the UI
> process going again so that you could 'unlock' that image should you
> need to later.

Hi,

I was hoping to have the gui enabled so that debugging is still possible
(and practical).

I tried your suggestion and it takes no less cpu and it has a dead gui in
that image now.

As for the network connection, I've tried the squeak vnc server and have not
been able to get it to work. I use the RealVNC client.

How do you make this all work Avi?

All the best,

Peter