Squeak Daemon: Why doesn't Squeak sleep with zero cpu usage?

Avi Bryant avi at beta4.com
Tue Jan 20 21:18:13 UTC 2004

On Jan 20, 2004, at 1:06 PM, Peter William Lount wrote:

> I tried your suggestion and it takes no less cpu and it has a dead gui
> in
> that image now.

That's interesting; which platform are you on?  Which VM version are
you using?

> As for the network connection, I've tried the squeak vnc server and
> have not
> been able to get it to work. I use the RealVNC client.

The Squeak VNC server is unfinished.  That's a great project for
someone to work on if someone has spare cycles... anyone? ;)  Although
there's also Nebraska, which you might want to play with.

> How do you make this all work Avi?

Usually I just close all the windows in morphic and that keeps the CPU
low enough.  Most administration of deployed images I do with web UIs
(for example, remotely loading MC packages to update code).  Seaside
also has a "screenshot" web app that will pass mouse clicks through,
that's often useful in a pinch (like for looking at debuggers that pop
up).  It's only rarely that I've pulled a deployed image off a server
to look at it with a full UI.