[BUG] String>>asInteger

Nevin Pratt nevin at smalltalkpro.com
Thu Jan 22 13:29:13 UTC 2004

Wolfgang Eder wrote:

> Michael Roberts wrote:
>
> (lots snipped)
>
>> so how tight should the semantics be?  We have both conversion and
>> 'sub-string' behaviour.
>

> I personally vote for a more rigid, conversion behavior.
> I even lean towards that '123abc' asInteger should raise an error.
> The "substring" seems still useful, it could be named like
> extractInteger, parseInteger, findInteger or something similar.
> Just my humble 2c
> Wolfgang

*By far* the most common use of #asInteger (for me) has always been for
extracting an integer from a GUI text field.  Fumble fingered users
*quite commonly* hit other keys when they are entering numbers.  And, I
don't *ever* remember a time when I found raising an error when
extracting a number from a string to be useful, with any Smalltalk (VA,
VW, or Squeak).  It has always been real annoying to have to wrap the
converter in an error handler.

Nevin

--
Nevin Pratt