Finding original change sets in the Version Browser

Doug Way dway at mailcan.com
Tue Jan 27 19:33:33 UTC 2004

Michael Roberts wrote:

>I've just answered my own question for the Lexicon selector as by looking at its CompiledMethod, I can find that the source for this is in the changes file.  I therefore assume from the comment that the change set for this has been deleted.
>
>Am I right in thinking, then, that this method is trying to find the original change set file that contained the changes?  If it is then that would I think answer my question.

Yep, it's trying to find the original changeset that contained that
change (that version of that method).

It's not too uncommon to get the 'This version was not found in any
changeset nor in the .sources file' response.  For example, if you're
using 3.7alpha, the changesets in the change sorter only go back to 3.5
or so.  So, if this version of the method was in a changeset from
3.1/3.2/3.3/3.4, it won't be able to find the changeset.  If it's prior
to 3.0, it will be in the .sources file.

But if you really want to find out what changeset that method is from,
you can download the "jumbo changes" image from the ftp site, which has
changesets going all the way back to 3.0!  See
ftp://st.cs.uiuc.edu/pub/Smalltalk/Squeak/testing  This image is still
at 3.6alpha, though... needs to be updated to 3.7alpha.

- Doug