The future of SM...

Marcus Denker denker at iam.unibe.ch
Fri Jul 16 07:43:42 UTC 2004

Am 15.07.2004 um 23:04 schrieb goran.krampe at bluefish.se:

> I would however like to know that a larger part of the community think
> that SM *can* evolve into the future and is *not* considered to be some
> transitional thing. And that they *want* to help out.

For me, *everything* that we have in Squeak is transitional. The best
way
to view Squeak is to define it  to *be* a transition.

The very essence of late binding is that is allows the system to be
evolved
to be the next (better) system.

Maybe it was this meaning of "transitional" that Craig had in mind: It
does not
mean that work on the anything is somehow "not needed". The exact
opposite
is true.

This is somewhat related to the process of innovation in science: Every
scientist
knows that his theory will be proven "wrong" in the future. Like
Newton's theory
of gravity was superceded by Einstein's. So I guess Newton would've
been realy
pissed of (if he'd been alive) "all my work for nothing. All the time
wasted. If I'd known
that this Einstein guy would work on the same stuff like me, I'd done
something else". ;-)

      Marcus