[BUG] [FIX] nilUUID in Squeak 3.7 beta 5963 ( [er][sm][et][approved] Attached a changeset version of this fix. )

Ned Konz ned at bike-nomad.com
Tue Jun 29 04:27:51 UTC 2004

On Monday 28 June 2004 8:57 pm, Doug Way wrote:
> On Monday, June 28, 2004, at 07:34 PM, Steven Riggins wrote:
> > I wonder what it is that Ned does that breaks Safari rule parsing :)
>
> It's because his reply was through the BFAV tool in Squeak.  I've
> noticed that any BFAV posts to squeak-dev don't make it through Apple
> Mail rule parsing either... I haven't looked into it too closely but it
> may be because those posts have multiple "To:" headers, whereas
> typically you have multiple addresses separated by commas in a single
> "To:" header.
>
> I don't know if this is actually the problem, and whether it's the
> fault of BFAV or the Squeak email sender.

I don't know, though RFC-822 appears to explicitly allow it (note that there
don't seem to be any more notes about this in the standard). Also, apparently
some older versions of sendmail would break if you fed them a header that was
more than about 1K in length. I think this is a case where MUAs MUST accept
(and coalesce, of course) all To: headers. Of course, there are some headers
that must be unique (From: comes to mind).

I think if Safari doesn't do the right thing, it's a Safari bug.

This doesn't mean that the BFAV shouldn't be fixed, though.

4.1. SYNTAX

      Header fields are NOT required to occur in any particular order, except
that the message body must occur AFTER the headers. It is recommended that,
if present, headers be sent in the order "Return-Path", "Received", "Date",
"From", "Subject", "Sender", "To", "cc", etc.

      This specification permits multiple occurrences of most fields. Except
as noted, their interpretation is not specified here, and their use is
discouraged.

     message     =  fields *( CRLF *text )       ; Everything after
                                                 ;  first null line
                                                 ;  is message body

     fields      =    dates                      ; Creation time,
                      source                     ;  author id & one
                    1*destination                ;  address required
                     *optional-field             ;  others optional

     destination =  "To"          ":" 1#address  ; Primary
                 /  "Resent-To"   ":" 1#address
                 /  "cc"          ":" 1#address  ; Secondary
                 /  "Resent-cc"   ":" 1#address
                 /  "bcc"         ":"  #address  ; Blind carbon
                 /  "Resent-bcc"  ":"  #address

4.5.1. TO / RESENT-TO

This field contains the identity of the primary recipients of the message.

--
Ned Konz
http://bike-nomad.com