Package Update Installation Anomalies

goran.krampe at bluefish.se goran.krampe at bluefish.se
Mon Mar 22 14:13:07 UTC 2004

Hi Lex and all!

"Lex Spoon" <lex at debian.org> wrote:
> goran.krampe at bluefish.se wrote:
> >  The "separate package pool per Squeak version" idea - I really don't
> > understand it. We can categorize the packages on SM whichever way we
> > want. We already have categories for Squeak version. We can add
> > smartness to SMSqueakMap/loader to warn the user etc. What is it we are
> > not catching? And what would be solved?
>
> One issue that the SM categories do not cover is that "Celeste for 3.6"
> and "Celeste for 3.7" should not have to be the same package.  In fact,
> Celeste for 3.6 should most likely be frozen and only updated when a bug
> is found.  Celeste for 3.7 on the other hand is actively developed.  It
> would be nice if my tools all just say "Celeste" and that they figure
> out automatically that I mean "Celeste for 3.7".
>
> The current practice of literally renaming packages to things like "RB
> for 3.6" seems like something that ought to be done for *every* package.
>  And thus, it seems like it should be automated.  I thought having
> separate SqueakMap's might be a good way to automate it before you clued
> me in to the issue of the password maps.  But anyway, at some point we
> probably do want to have a separate package map for each version of
> Squeak.

Ok, I would rather "solve" the problem you describe by introducing
branches in the "release list" of packages. The SMPackage "Celeste"
still describes the application Celeste with the original author, the
general description etc. Things that IMHO are common to all these.

When you write a separate map I mistook you to mean a separate
SMSqueakMap - which today contain lots of things like the full category
tree, all the accounts with passwords etcetc.

Anyway, release branches would "take care of it" in a clean way IMHO.
This means that a release can be marked as being for say 3.6, and
subsequent releases on that branch can be made - for bug fixes etc. So
"logically" we can have separate sets of package releases for the
different baselines (3.6, 3.7 etc) but it would all still be in one map.
And that is IMHO good.

No time right now to write on other issues in your post, might do it
later.

regards, Göran