Premature end of image file--so close

Ross Boylan RossBoylan at stanfordalumni.org
Mon May 17 07:22:29 UTC 2004

On Fri, May 14, 2004 at 09:49:42PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> When I try to start squeak, I get
> "Read failed or premature end of image file"

I think I see the code that issues the error
(readImageFromFile:HeapSize:StartingAt:).  The image internally says
it should be 43,914,644 bytes.(*) ls -l says the file is 43,913,280.

So there's only about 1.5k missing.  Now if that were just my most
recent data, and there were some way to get back the rest....

I suppose some of the data that seems to be there could also be no
good.

(*)It would be rather easy to make a mistake in this calculation.  But
I think I'm doing it right.  I get the right number for a good image.
This number is the sum of the length of the header plus the length of
the data according to the 2nd and 3rd "longs" in the image file,
header + data lengths.