Where would I post a BIG project?

Yoshiki Ohshima Yoshiki.Ohshima at acm.org
Sat Nov 27 15:40:43 UTC 2004

  Hello,

> Yes, I did install SqueakNihongo6.1.  I also tried the internationalized
> version of Squeak 3.6.  And I crashed Squeak 3.7 trying to internationalize
> it... And I downloaded the beta of Squeak 3.8 because I thought it was
> internationalized (it has German and some other languages but not
> Japanese).

  At this point, the easiest would be the SqueakNihongo6.1.

> Perhaps the problem is that I'm using the English version of Window 2000
> with the "Microsoft IME 2000 (Japanese)".

  Precisely speaking, the problem is that the Squeak doesn't know
about this configuration (i.e., English Windows with Japanese IME).

  On the Japanese Windows, the clipboard and keyboard input uses
Shift-JIS, but apparently it is not the case for this configuration.

  If you can figure out what kind of keyboard input encoding the VM is
receiving, some 10 lines or so of Squeak code should fix the
problem.

  Can you take a look at WinShiftJISInputInterpreter, put the
#printString at appropriate position and what keycode are delivered to
the image?

> Is the source for Squeak SKK still available?

  I'm not sure.  Abe-san or Sumi-san would know better.

> I'm guessing that users prefered to continue to use whatever IME they were
> already using.  That's understandable.

  Yes.

> Still, if SKK is useable enough, it would be a nice option for
> Japanese-teaching educational software.  It's already asking a lot of users
> to make them download a huge Squeak image.  Asking them to install an IME on
> top of that would be too much for many people.

  Yes.

> As I said I don't mind writing a bilingual IME eventually, but I wonder if
> people would use it.
>
> Since Squeak is educational software, translating versions aren't a bad
> idea. An environment that helps with translation with pop-up translations
> and translating/multilingual-dictionary IMEs might create a new niche for
> Smalltalk.
>
> By the way, I'm forwarding this post to the developer's list.

  Thank you!

-- Yoshiki