About slugginess of 3.8 unstable

Stephan Rudlof sr at evolgo.de
Sun Oct 3 19:33:09 UTC 2004

Doug Way wrote:
> On Oct 2, 2004, at 2:59 AM, danielv at tx.technion.ac.il wrote:
>

>>So, why don't you write a test for it?
>>
>>:-)
>>
>>testForSlugishness
>> self assert: [Browser open "and other stuff you do"] timeToRun < "some
>>reasonable delay for that"
>>
>>True, this will fail for slow machines, but that reasonable.
>

> Actually, better yet you could have a quick tinyBenchmarks test as part
> of the testForSlugishness to use as a sort of baseline for machine
> speed.  Then, you could test that "Browser open" or whatever only takes
> a certain amount of time relative to your sends/sec speed, so it should
> be roughly equivalent on slow & fast machines.

There is a problem with timeToRun: it is not independent from other
running Squeak or system processes.
Better would be a measurement of executed bytecodes and message sends
for just this test, which should be independent from interrupts. This is
especially important for tests, which mustn't fail.

Any idea?

Greetings
Stephan

--