[ENH request] self class.

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Sat Oct 16 01:30:53 UTC 2004

> If the importance of "Object class" execution time relative to
> timesRepeat: code is so low (10% loss in execution time) in the example,
> then isn't it going to be even less significant in real code?

That is quite likely - I would expect the actual effect to be neglectable
(as in < 0.1%). You see - the claim that "it's around 10% slower" is
ridiculous on both ends. From the micro point of view we have benchmarks
that show that there is a difference of ~10x between message send and byte
code (btw the "benchmark" below strikes me as one that can only be seen as a
micro) so the result is out of the ordinary by two orders of magnitude. For
a macro I wouldn't expect to see a loop like the one below and so again I'd
say this is probably wrong by two orders of magnitude.

Whatever it is that is being presented with this "benchmark" I wouldn't use
it to discuss whether there is a speed difference between the message #class
and the class bytecode.

Cheers,
  - Andreas