www.squeaksource.com down ?

Colin Putney cputney at wiresong.ca
Tue Apr 12 02:57:43 UTC 2005

On Apr 11, 2005, at 9:56 PM, John Pierce wrote:

>  Ok -- so SqueakSource.com is back.  It is actually even worse than it
> appears.  I thought my IP changed -- nope.  My netgear router that
> NATs my Apache server went belly up and just needed power switched.  I
> just didn't get home to do it until now.  Sorry -- but I would be
> interested ins somehow mirroring SqueakSource, but don't know how that
> could be easily done.

Yes, it would be nice to do something better. Some observations:

1. SqueakMap only allows one URL. If we could enter multiple
distribution URLs it would be easier to make sure that packages are
always available for download.

2. We have no way to automatically synchronize Monticello repositories.
If we did, we could set up several installations of SqueakSource and
have them propagate versions between each other for backup and
redundancy. People could work against the closest one.

3. We might be able to lessen the impact of kilana failing by using a
caching proxy. Versions are read-only, so the cache will never get
stale.

4. Guarding against proxy failure would probably require something
exotic.

Colin