StrikeFontSet question

Yoshiki Ohshima yoshiki at squeakland.org
Thu Aug 4 18:11:27 UTC 2005

> Times in milliseconds:
> 10551.6   <- current 3.8 version
> 9758.2       <- using the primitive
>
> Thats about 10% improvement from one method in a real world situation,
> and may explain where some of the speed has gone in the last couple of
> years.
>
> Advice, comments appreciated. Code attached if you want to see what I
> was trying.

  If you really like to get that kind of performance improvement, you
could insert a class test in:

StrikeFontSet>>displayString:on:from:to:at:kern:

so that it would look like:

	(aString isMemberOf: ByteString) ifTrue: [
	] ifFalse: [
		^ self displayString: aString on: aBitBlt from: startIndex to: stopIndex at: aPoint kern: kernDelta baselineY: aPoint y + self ascent.
	].

or something.

  I haven't tested yet, but probably better than just replacing it.

-- Yoshiki