Mantis vs. mailing-list

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Fri Dec 9 11:24:36 UTC 2005

On Fri, Dec 09, 2005 at 09:29:30AM +0000, Tony Garnock-Jones wrote:
> stéphane ducasse wrote:
> > I know that we should not report in the mailing-list but
> >     - this is important that people get the idea that a given bug exists
> >     - I really like to know via the mailing-list the existence of bugs
> > since I find the interface of mantis
>
> Perhaps we could configure mantis to email to a mailing-list when a new
> bug is filed (not necessarily this mailing-list); or to provide an RSS
> feed, perhaps?

Good idea. And small thing that may help is to say that it is OK
to report a bug on the list with the [BUG] tag, but please also add
"Mantis 1234" in the text of your mail message to indicate that you
have properly reported on it Mantis. That way, folks on the list can
know about the bug, it gets tracked properly on Mantis, and janitors
and harvesters do not have to waste time checking that a [BUG] report
got entered on Mantis.

This should be a matter of courtesy in the community, since if I post
a [BUG] report without first adding it to Mantis, I am forcing someone
else to do a lot of work for me. This is not fair to the people
who are doing the hard work. We need to appreciate their efforts
and all of us do what we can to make their jobs easier.

Dave