Non-debuggerable situation: investigations

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Wed Feb 2 01:26:39 UTC 2005

"Brent Pinkney" <brent.pinkney at aircom.co.za> wrote:
> I have been tracking down the symptions Chris is referring to and can
> confirm his problem.
>
> For the impatient see my conclusions at the bottom.
>
> Firstly, it is possible to open a debugger in 3.7 on the 'do-it' of
>
> 	ProtoObject basicNew printString.
>
> 1. When this is is evaluated a wee debugger appears indicating correctly
> than printString is not understood.
> 2. If one chooses to debug this a full debugger appears as expected.
> 3. If one clicks on the top row in the stack list, a new debugger appears
> indicating that ProtoObject does not understand inspector class. This is
> becuase the first debugger is trying to populate the little inspector in
> the bottom left hand corner of the debugger (the receiver).
> 4. If one abandons the second debugger, one can continue with the first
> debugger.

This actually all sounds fine to me.  ProtoObject's don't particularly
need to have even basic debugging behaviors.  They are not really
supposed to be instatiated, themselves.  You can't even print them out
or send them #yourself....

Maybe we should even move in the opposite direction, and remove some
methods?  The following don't really seem to need to be there:

	flag:
	the oneshot methods

Also, I got the impression that the tryNamedPrim methods are vestigial.
If that's true, then they should go away as well...

-Lex