To Traits Or Not To Traits (Was: Re: Stefs roadmap for 3.9, time to get it nailed down)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Thu Feb 24 12:41:15 UTC 2005

> Well, these are the things I want to know :). If we can't have it as a
> package - and there probably are strong arguments for not having this
> as
> a package, I can envision it being hard to maintain that way - then we
> will have to look hard at what effects it will have - for example for
> those that wish to ignore it.

Nathanael and adrian will certainly reply in length here.
What I can tell you is that it is possible to have traits as package
but this
is a sweet dream because each time the kernel will changes then you will
have to fix traits. You will not be able to get the full power of
traits because
you will not be able to rethink to core Collection/Stream/UI using
morphic
then each time you will load the traits package it will just recompile
all
your image = 30 min of recompilation. Then do you imagine that nathanael
or adrian will work on checking drifts over the years especially since
this is
really simple once in the image (because traits are simple).
So a package = slow death but death.

Stef