memory and VM issues

David T. Lewis lewis at mail.msen.com
Thu Jul 21 11:35:19 UTC 2005

On Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 03:06:13PM -0700, John M McIntosh wrote:

> where 'Squeak3.8gamma of ''24 November 2004'' [latest update: #6548]
> is the image identification and update data put into the VM source code
> by VMMaker. This information just indicates which image VMMaker was
> put  into. The Squeak VM 3.8.8b2 is the mac carbon VM version number.
> For the most part, all of the slang code for building the VM comes
> from the VMMaker package, very little (if any?) from the base image,
> so if you
> load into a 3.8 or 3.9 image is immaterial. Historically the slang
> code was in the base image, so having the image information was
> useful. Perhaps
> we need to stuff the VMMaker info into the vmversion string too..

Very good idea.

Also, it would be nice to track the level of the platform code
(SVN version number defined in a header file in ./platforms?),
and include that in the vmVersion string. But I don't know how
to do this without creating another maintenance chore. Maybe
someone can think of a clever SVN hack to make this happen.

Dave