New Platforms and applications

Lex Spoon lex at cc.gatech.edu
Sun Jun 5 19:19:48 UTC 2005

astares at gmx.de wrote:
> Chris Adams is lamenting about Java, "Run everywhere" and new platforms and
> applications.
>
> Just wondering if Squeak is already ported to Microsoft XBox 360, Nintendo
> Revolution or Sony PlayStation 3?

Good question.  What is the most recent port of Squeak?

This used to be a serious bragging point of Squeak.  It used to run
bit-for-bit identically on more platforms than Java did despite Java
having a head start.  The reason for this was that Squeak had a simple
VM that could be ported in days (for a basic port) or weeks (for all the
goodies like sound, sockets, etc.).

What's the state nowadays?  Who has ported Squeak recently, and how long
did it take?  Can we still brag about this?

-Lex