Fixing the look of squeak in 3.9.

John Pierce john.raymond.pierce at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 11:50:40 UTC 2005

On 6/19/05, stéphane ducasse <ducasse at iam.unibe.ch> wrote:

> Hi john
>
> I liked your simple approach. What I would like to see if if we can
> fix simple glitches of your style or others and use it to improve the
> squeak default look. May be tweak will save the rest but I'm not
> sure. So I would really like to get something now instead of dreaming
> about tomorrow (that may not happen).
> So what do you think about that?

Who really knows SystemWindow code well? It would be good if I and/or Ben
Schroeder could pair up with someone who knows it because there are just
enough nuances that it would be best for us to review to fix small glitches
in our Look Enhancments (i.e. small text boxes with scrollbars, border
widths are not exactly precise, etc...).

We also did not "care" about maintaining the "alternate window look" in
preferences. If you toggle that option off then all goes bad on style
(windows are black). Lastly, SMLoader window lost it's paneColor in 3.8 and
beyond. Not sure why, but I keep having to add paneColor override to get the
pale yellow Squeak Map loader back otherwise it is transparent. This only
happens when using our Look Enhancements, but it clearly used to have this
override in 3.7.

So, yes, some polish would be needed to make this the defacto style. I'm for
it, and advice on SystemWindow would be appreciated.

John

 --
It's easy to have a complicated idea. It's very very hard to have a simple
idea. -- Carver Mead