My first Magma experience

Daniel Salama dsalama at user.net
Thu Mar 31 20:51:29 UTC 2005

On Mar 31, 2005, at 2:26 PM, Daniel Salama wrote:

>> One of these has been integrated into 3.8, the other hasn't.  As of
>> yesterday,
>> I re-posted Magma to SqueakSource with these fixes included.  It
>> sounds like
>> you did not load Magma from SqueakSource since then.  Please verify
>> the version
>> you are using is not the latest and try your test again.
>>

> There was a thread yesterday to which you had responded that the
> version in SqueakSource was not the latest version and so you posted
> the URL to download the latest Monticello packages. It was a few
> minutes after your post that I downloaded the Monticello packages. If
> you made changes there and reposted to SqueakSource after that, I
> didin't get that yet. I will download the latest version from
> SqueakSource now and give it a try again.

Chris,

I went ahead and updated the latest versions of MCInstaller and
Monticello and then downloaded the lastest version of Magma server from
SqueakSource into the Squeak VM which runs the Magma server. Then I did
the same into the Squeak VM for the Magma client.

After everything seemed to be upgraded, I ran the same test, only this
time, I only executed the one commit for each element instead of one
commit for the whole transaction.

Well, on the server side, the statistics were refreshed for about 5
seconds and then froze. On the client side, it froze for about 19
minutes and then generated the exception:

MaObjectSerializationSecurityViolation signal: Serializations beyond 10
megabytes are not allowed.

Again :(

The sample code I ran on the workspace is:

head := FHKC834Header new.
head controlNumber: (xmt controlNumber).
head referenceNumber: (xmt referenceNumber).
head date: (xmt date).
head time: (xmt time).
head members: (LinkedList new).

t := Time millisecondsToRun: [
mySession := MagmaSession hostAddress: #(127 0 0 1) asByteArray port:
51969.
mySession connectAs: 'aUser'.
mySession commit:
	[mySession root at: 'FHKC834' put: (LinkedList new)].

mySession commit:
	[fhkc := mySession root at: 'FHKC834'.
	 fhkc add: head].

xmt members do: [:ea|
	mySession commit: [head addMember: ea]].

mySession disconnect.
].

Transcript cr; show: (t/1000) asFloat; show: 'Seconds to load into DB
in one commit'.

Am I doing something wrong?

BTW, the statistics from the server showed:

a MagmaServerStatistics
	sockets queued:
	min = 1
	max = 1
	sum = 9
	count = 9
	mean : 1.0
	requests queued:
	min = 1
	max = 1
	sum = 9
	count = 9
	mean : 1.0
	request sizes:
	min = 35
	max = 1156
	sum = 2674
	count = 9
	mean : 297.111111111111
	request processing time:
	min = a MaDuration 00:00:00.000
	max = a MaDuration 00:00:00.123
	sum = a MaDuration 00:00:00.142
	count = 8
	mean : **invalid**
	response sizes:
	min = 187
	max = 88500
	sum = 172964
	count = 9
	mean : 19218.22222222222

And that's it.

Any clues?

Thanks,
Daniel

Daniel Salama
dsalama at user.net
Voice: (954) 655-8051
Fax  : (954) 252-3988

This e-mail contains information which may be confidential and
privileged. Unless you are the addressee (or authorized to
receive for the addressee), you may not use, copy or disclose
to anyone the message or any information contained in the
message.  If you have received the message in error, please
advise the sender by reply e-mail to dsalama at user.net or
tel. +1-954-655-8051 and delete the material from any computer.