Shell or system call with a MAC

John M McIntosh johnmci at smalltalkconsulting.com
Wed May 11 03:42:58 UTC 2005

If you dig around and find the
Areithfa Ffenestri - Host windows for Squeak
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3862
you will find the host menu support for Squeak.
http://minnow.cc.gatech.edu/squeak/3871

The macintosh implementation gives you full control over building the
menus, thus you could build and insert the service menu and see what
happens.
In fact the startup menu code on the mac removes the pre-built VM menus
and re installs more os-x specific menus.

Mind I think this won't make things work for you, not sure of when you
need to copy/paste things to the clipboard for the service to process
them.
You can read or write to the clipboard via primitive, so I wonder if
this would work? You could poke at it and see?
http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/appservices/
tasks/chapter_3_section_2.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP30000993-CH206-
CJBGBHBJ

Or are you asking to have squeak register as a service and allow you to
execute smalltalk code?

I've been working on a 3.8.8 VM, perhaps I could consider services.

On May 10, 2005, at 4:08 PM, Lic. Edgar J. De Cleene wrote:

> On [DATE], "[NAME]" <[ADDRESS]> wrote:
>
>> Under os-x if you set up things to call applescript you can then
>> invoke
>> unix shell scripts since they are supported under AppleScript.
> John  , I wonder when/if you could cook one mac VM what support
> "Services"
> available inside Squeak.
>
> Edgar

===