Underscores in Identifiers (was: Re: Random and unsolicited feedback on 3.9a)

Bert Freudenberg bert at impara.de
Sat Nov 19 10:58:23 UTC 2005

When dealing with low_level_code, I'd love to have underscores in
identifiers - not even just method names, but for variables, too.
This could probably be achieved simply by using a different type
table with $_ being an #xLetter in Scanner (not sure about the SmaCC-
based Compiler).

However, I would also strongly suggest *not* to allow this as a
standard. Apart from breaking old code file-ins, we would soon get
tons of unreadable gibberish by C-trained newbies ;-)

Instead, when filing in, the compiler would interpret underscores as
assignment, just as it is now. *Only* if specifically enabled by the
filed-in code would it be switched to allow underscores in
identifiers. Same goes for normal development - *unless* a class
answer true when asked #allowUnderscoresInIdentifiers, underscores
are compiled as assignments. The file-out code would take that into
account to generate the code snippet enabling underscores in
identifiers needed for later file-in.

How does that sound?

- Bert -