updates vs. images -- limiting squeak to code

Brad Fuller brad at sonaural.com
Thu Oct 13 16:40:25 UTC 2005

Cees De Groot wrote:

>Hi Josh, long time no speak :)
>
>On 10/13/05, Josh Gargus <schwa at fastmail.us> wrote:
>

>>Come on now, (I believe that) it is those Squeak users who have the
>>most non-code objects (eg: those using it as an expressive medium,
>>not a programming environment) who are least likely to be able to
>>write such code.
>>

>Apart from the (large) group of Squeaklanders, is there a substantial
>enough group of Squeak users who don't code themselves to warrant
>putting a significant load on the shoulders of a couple of volunteers?
>
>Note that I'm *not* argumentative here, just trying to get lots of pro
>and contra arguments on the table.

Put yourself in the boots of a user (only) and try to forget you can
easily whip something up to update your image or your current non-code
objects. One of the nicest things about Squeak is that a mere user can
update it easily. It's one of the coolest features of the system, and
illustrates in a concrete way, the concern the architects have for
users. You don't have to go thru the rig-a-ma-role of getting the next
image, unzipping it, installing it,  etc... Yuck! I'd rather push a
button. I wish it was more extensive.

I'm not saying that there may not be alternatives. However, we often
don't view the problem (and in this case it's a solution already there)
from the users POV. I also think this feature is a good marketing bullet
to help propagate the usage of Squeak to a much larger audience. Isn't
that an important topical discussion? (maybe we should start a marketing
thread.)

brad

--
Brad Fuller