let's simplify mantis bug severities

Peter Crowther Peter at ozzard.org
Sun Oct 30 18:01:10 UTC 2005

> From: [...] Simon Michael
> Here are the current Mantis severities:
[...]
> I find these hard to use because:
[...]
> I'd like us to choose a simpler set of severities, perhaps
> evolving them over time. Ideally old issues will have their severities
adapted
> accordingly. Here's a proposal to get the ball rolling:
>
> serious  - crashes, hangs, release blockers, data loss, security
> breaches, breakages in important stuff
> normal - every other kind of breakage or problem, except for..
> wishlist - things which are more like enhancement requests

I like the existing severities because:

- There is no 'normal'.  This forces the reporter to decide between
'minor' and 'major', rather than all bugs getting lumped in as 'normal',
which in turn leads to better prioritisation.

- There are enough that it is possible to prioritise.  Notably, blockers
are separated from bugs that are severe but are not blocking release.

I agree that:

- Tweak could be mis-interpreted in a Squeak environment. It should
perhaps be re-labeled 'almost trivial'.

- The meaning of 'text' could perhaps be clarified by renaming it, but
it's difficult to find a better name - 'typo' is a subclass.

I am very much against simplifying the current set of severities for the
reasons given above; if anything, I would add 'enhancement' to the list,
as otherwise the term 'feature' may get abused as a severity of 'new
feature' rather than its intended use of 'this is a feature of the
existing code'.

		- Peter