The leaders (was Re: Smalltalk and Self)

Victor Rodriguez victor.palique at gmail.com
Sat Sep 3 05:26:23 UTC 2005

Hello Goran,

Thanks for your reply, it has been the most helpful information (and
links) to know what is going on with Squeak.

2005/9/1, goran at krampe.se <goran at krampe.se>:
[snip]
> Well, Squeak is very much a doer-ocracy - if you are a "doer" you *will*
> lead in one way or another, either you like it or not. :) So in essence
> the people who have the time and skill for the moment to put in an
> effort are typically the ones running the show at that point in time. :)

This is very nice, and is obviously has its merit, such work as Traits
and Exupery is very exciting. Still, without clear leadership, this
may not be sustainable, and is definetively detrimental to attract and
keep a healthy community.

Quite frankly, as a newcomer to Squeak, I find the project to be a
mess. I don't mean to offend anybody, it is obvious that there is
talented and devoted people working on Squeak. However, the website's
latest entry in "Where is Squeak Headed?" is for 2000, and if you were
to believe it, you would think Alan Kay et al are still working at
Disney.

The wiki is not much better either, and the best example comes from
the future of Squeak page: "The fact that there isn't a more recent
update does not imply that squeak is abandoned." Rats! It's a wiki!
Why can't someone write something more than that for 2004-2005?

I wonder how many newcomers find this, and simply move on. I did it
twice. It is all pretty disheartening.

There was quite a bit of activity in the list about a new website a
couple of weeks ago, but now the subject has quieted down, and the
website is still its own old same. There was another thread about
getting the word out about Squeak by means of blogs, which is a good
idea, but it won't do any good at all if the website just turn people
away.

IMHO, a priority should be to get the new website in place, and the
wiki reorganized. It should be obvious what is what:
  - Squeaks:  Squeak, Tweak, wxSqueak, Croquet?
  - Websites: squeak, squeak foundation, croquet, squeak land,  smalll
land, others?
  - Swikis: squeak, squeak foundation, the coordinator's one, others?
  - Mailing lists. Although this seems to be the only active one..
and who's who:
  - Is the Squeak foundation significant at all?
  - The Guides. Do they really guide?
  - etc..

There just seems to be too many of each!

Anyway, I better stop now for now!

Best Regards,

Victor Rodriguez.