The leaders (was Re: Smalltalk and Self)

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sat Sep 3 07:27:00 UTC 2005

>> Well, Squeak is very much a doer-ocracy - if you are a "doer" you
>> *will*
>> lead in one way or another, either you like it or not. :) So in
>> essence
>> the people who have the time and skill for the moment to put in an
>> effort are typically the ones running the show at that point in
>> time. :)
>>

> This is very nice, and is obviously has its merit, such work as Traits
> and Exupery is very exciting. Still, without clear leadership, this
> may not be sustainable, and is definetively detrimental to attract and
> keep a healthy community.

But we are working. Read the 3.9 roadmap and you will see where
squeak is moving for
at least the next 6 months: we will have a better squeak for all
kinds of reasons.

> Quite frankly, as a newcomer to Squeak, I find the project to be a
> mess. I don't mean to offend anybody, it is obvious that there is
> talented and devoted people working on Squeak. However, the website's
> latest entry in "Where is Squeak Headed?" is for 2000, and if you were
> to believe it, you would think Alan Kay et al are still working at
> Disney.

We know: a completely new web site should be announced soon.

> The wiki is not much better either, and the best example comes from
> the future of Squeak page: "The fact that there isn't a more recent
> update does not imply that squeak is abandoned." Rats! It's a wiki!
> Why can't someone write something more than that for 2004-2005?
>
> I wonder how many newcomers find this, and simply move on. I did it
> twice. It is all pretty disheartening.

Yes so now what can you do to help and change the situation.

> There was quite a bit of activity in the list about a new website a
> couple of weeks ago, but now the subject has quieted down, and the
> website is still its own old same.

Do not tell me....

> There was another thread about getting the word out about Squeak by
> means of blogs, which is a good
> idea, but it won't do any good at all if the website just turn
> people away.

Thanks for pointing that. As you see I have been really pushing for
the new website....
now waiting.

> IMHO, a priority should be to get the new website in place, and the
> wiki reorganized. It should be obvious what is what:
>   - Squeaks:  Squeak, Tweak, wxSqueak, Croquet?
>   - Websites: squeak, squeak foundation, croquet, squeak land,  smalll
> land, others?
>   - Swikis: squeak, squeak foundation, the coordinator's one, others?
>   - Mailing lists. Although this seems to be the only active one..
> and who's who:
>   - Is the Squeak foundation significant at all?
>   - The Guides. Do they really guide?
>   - etc..
>
> There just seems to be too many of each!
>
> Anyway, I better stop now for now!

Now just start and ask if you can help.

Stef