Traits, OmniBrowser and ToolBuilder

Daniel Vainsencher daniel.vainsencher at gmail.com
Fri Sep 9 09:52:26 UTC 2005

As mentioned a while ago, we're going to push towards Traits in 3.9.

Traits depends on OmniBrowser (well, if you want to see the traits,
anyway), and OB depends on Morphic. Of course these days, what it should
do is depend on ToolBuilder. Unfortunately, it has some non-standard
morph stuff in it. The non-standard feature can be seen in the OB
"implementors of", when in chase mode, you get dynamic columns.

Since removing Morphic is not on the agenda for 3.9 anyway, I'm
proposing we push the OB in, and adapt it to ToolBuilder as much as
possible, and consider how to adapt OmniBrowser and ToolBuilder to one
another to make the OB portable among UI frameworks, and independent of
Morphic.

I think putting the OB in the image early in the alpha phase is
important, because we want it to start getting testing and enhancement
before the Traits related aspects come into the picture.

Daniel