[ANN] new version of services available for preview

Romain Robbes romain.robbes at lu.unisi.ch
Fri Sep 30 18:18:57 UTC 2005

On Sep 30, 2005, at 7:55 PM, Jason Rogers wrote:

> On 09/30/2005 09:47 AM, Romain Robbes apparently said:
>

>>         Hi Emilio,
>>
>>     I don't quite understand what you mean ... the behavior I
>> have  for now
>>     is to both select the word and attempt to navigate, which
>> deselects the word sometimes.
>>
>>     Just by reading your mail, I was thinking of doing navigation
>> by  triple-clicking
>>     (was that what you meant btw?), which could maybe be doable.
>> Would
>>     everyone (Tim?) find that ok. I don't think Squeak can do
>> triple- click to select
>>     a line or paragraph (and can't check because my double-click
>> is  modified ;-) ).
>>

> [snipped]
>
> I am jumping in kind of late on this discussion, so I apologize if
> it's already been covered.
>
> What about using the function keys or another keystroke
> combination?  My preference would be to *not* modify the double
> click action.  The way I do it in Eclipse is to doubleClick.  Then
> I press F3 or some other key combination and it takes me there.

yes but I'd rather do it with only clicking, as it seems to me to be
faster (the alternative being to keep a key pressed,
maybe this can be done somehow).

>   Eclipse also has the concept of the browser back and forward
> buttons that will help me navigate through my history of
> navigations -- these actions are also bound to Alt-LeftArrow and
> Alt-RightArrow.

with services you can do that by default with meta-[ and and meta-]
(or apple-[, windows-[)

> Eclipse also adds the ability to navigate and get information by
> just placing the cursor anywhere in the text.  So for this code,
> "someObject.doS[cursor positioned here]omething();", pressing F3
> takes me to the method doSomething() in someObject's class.  I
> don't know how hard that would be in Squeak, but it sure would be
> nice to have.

Well you kind do that with services (just placing the cursor instead
of selecting text), except the shortcut is longer.
In fact this is the same thing used for click-navigation.

Romain

--
     Romain Robbes
     http://www.inf.unisi.ch/~robbes/