Modularity agin

Andreas Raab andreas.raab at gmx.de
Tue Aug 8 18:31:14 UTC 2006

Dean_Swan at Mitel.COM wrote:
> Regarding modularity, wasn't there an Idea that future work would be
> based on Craig's Spoon work?  That at least offers a repeatable process:
>
>         1) Start with a "full" image version X.Y-Z, execute some
> method(s) designed to exercize the desired funcionality to imprint a new
> "minimal" image
>         2) Save the minimal image and give it a name/version.
>
> It seems that S-unit tests of some sort would provide the basis for the
> method to imprint the desired functionality.
>
> Is there any reason why this isn't a good path to follow?

As the *only* path? Or as part of an overall strategy? If the first, I'd
say that I'll answer that question once I've seen the first system that
has been built that way ;-) [*] As part of an overall strategy it's
perfectly fine - there are various interesting ideas in Spoon which can
be helpful in many different contexts.

[*] This is my new "I-won't-answer-until-I've-seen-it" disclaimer to
avoid gross misjudgements about the theoretical vs. practical benefits
of a deep system modification. Once bitten, twice shy.

Cheers,
   - Andreas