Stef's departure from the SqueakFoundation board

stéphane ducasse ducasse at iam.unibe.ch
Sun Aug 20 08:18:44 UTC 2006

On 20 août 06, at 02:23, Brad Fuller wrote:

> Andreas Raab wrote:
>
>> I think it's time for both of you to get out of it for a while
>> (see above). Finish up 3.9 and let the board deal with it - if the
>> board is really as incapable as you seem to think it'll show
>> really quickly. In the mean time I happen to think that someone a
>> little less ... ugh ... involved, might be a better person to deal
>> with releases. Less coding, more management, if you know what I
>> mean. Do we have any producers / product manager types out there?
>
> I've been thinking the very same thing. I would be happy to offer
> my services, but I'm reluctant because I'm writing a new business
> plan. I've managed technology development for video games (Atari
> (yeah, I hired Craig, but don't hold that against me)), digital TV
> software mgmt (Philips) and director of product management at
> OpenTV (interactive TV), to name a few.

:)
cool.
I developed Atari games too long time ago named Skweek and
SuperSkweek :)

> I really don't know what happened. But, I really enjoy Stef's
> viewpoint and am grateful for Stef's contributions to Squeak. (I
> bet we could count up the number of emails from Stef and it might
> be more than anyone else here! Not that it is a measure of code
> quality, but a good measure of contribution.)

I would not count email as contributions. I would prefer to not lose
my time to argue why we need to find a way
to support essential aspects of Squeak such as the release.

I find mean to tell us that we spent too mch energy on it and that we
should relax, when we are explaining
that if you want to do a good job you should spend too much time.
But this was easy to say so....

> Maybe we can assess the current situation, determine status, and
> move on.

Exact and as I said I found a bit awkward that "releasing a new
version" should be done for fun.

Stef